The District‎ > ‎

Demographics

HISTORY


    Historically the area west & North of Ogden City was an agricultural area.  After World War II there were people who needed a place to build. 
    The old time residents had used wells for their primary water supply.  Some had small diameter wells drilled by cable tool & percussion methods & dependent on artesian pressure in some cases.  Many had shallow wells.  These were from 10' to 14' deep & water drawn by centrifugal electric pumps in some cases, & in remote cases, by hand operated pumps.  Banks were reluctant to loan money unless a positive supply of water was available & the quality met minimum standards.  The older original municipalities such as Ogden had a supply & a system.  The bedroom communities, north & south of Ogden along the mountain had sources of water & since they were incorporated they had secured funding & had constructed water lines within their built up, populated area & they in effect had a system or least they had a base to build on. 
    In the area served by Bona Vista there was not an acceptable base to build on.  The supply was not acceptable first of all.  The shallow wells would not meet minimum standards.  The deep wells or those that flowed in most cases would not meet chemical standards either.  Usually they did not have a problem with bacteria but the chemicals, the organics & quality in the general did not meet standards established by the U.S. Health Department or the Utah State Health Department & something had to be done.

    None of the communities had enough people nor the financial resources to construct a system.  The Weber County Commission was requested to help & they worked with the small communities to resolve the problem. 
    The problem was not unique to the area served by the District & had been addressed by the Utah Legislature and an avenue had been set up to resolve the problem.  The Legislature had made it possible to set up a Water Improvement District to develop & supply water to the multi-community-city area.  At the time the areas involved were the Wilson area, that area west of Ogden, the Marriott & Slaterville area, again west & on the northern 1/2 of Ogden, the Farr West area, west & north of Ogden, the Plain City area, this was an incorporated city, then Harrisville, north of Ogden & the area known as Randall which was east of Harrisville and between Ogden & North Ogden running east to the mountains.  Then there was also the Fairmont area.  This area was south of Wilson, west of Ogden and went south to the Roy Boundary.  The residents of the area described had approached the County to help with construction of a water system.  They had also worked with their community & church leaders to have them approach the County or any other existing entity to supply a culinary water to the area.  There was not an entity in existence, however, but as stated , there was an avenue for the creation of such an entity which had been set up by the Legislature. 
ORGANIZATION OF THE DISTRICT


    By 1956 the need of a culinary water system was very evident.  The Weber Basin Conservancy District had constructed facilities to collect and store water and treatment plant to treat the stored surface water for culinary purposes and water was available for sale to the communities.  This left the ball in the hands of the Weber County Commission since the areas in severe need of water were within the County and only one of the interested communities was incorporated at the time.

    Taking this need into consideration the Weber County Commission took action under the authority of chapter 6, of title 17, Utah Code Annotated 1953, to set up a Water Improvement District & the boundaries were established by the Commission to serve the area in the need of wanting a culinary water system.  This method would allow the property owners within those boundaries to pay for & receive water service and not place a burden of repayment on the part of the County & the other communities within, not wanting, or possibly already having, water service.  The community leaders of Farr West, Harrisville, Marriott, Slaterville & Wilson.  Fairmont worked with the Weber County Commission to choose property owning, civic minded, citizens to serve on the Board of Trustee's.  Four persons were appointed & the Incorporated Town of Plain City appointed one of their Town Board Members to fill the 5th position establishing a 5 man Board.

    The 5 members chose & voted on a Chairman & August 1, 1956, these 5 Board Members were sworn into office by Weber County Clerk, Lawrence Malan, & the District began.